India has decidedly banned the battle royale game PUBG Mobile and 117 other apps in the country. The reason is the change in China’s foreign policy and because of a dispute with China over border clashes at the Himalayas which left 20 Indian soldiers dead. India seems to be resorting to new access. The government of India had prohibited 118 new apps from consensus corporations. The most popular game in the country is also a victim of this ban.
Details: PUBG Mobile is published in India and few other countries via Tencent. Tencent is a Chinese technology giant. Therefore, even though PUBG cooperation is a South Korean company, due to new regulations from India to cooperate with Chinese organizations (in this case Tencent) PUBG couldn’t publish the game in India.
What is PUBG?
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) is a multiplayer online battle royale game developed by PUBG Corporation, a subsidiary of Korean publisher Bluehole.
Effect on India
- A major part of PUBG Mobile players in India belongs to the age group of 22-40 years and the second group is from 18-22 years. People from the first group find themselves mostly in the initial career or experienced professional stage and contribute majorly to the economy through taxes. The second group finds itself in important academic years. India being a young nation, it is very important to preserve their important assets.
- For some, PUBG Mobile is a way to pass the time. But for some, it becomes a dangerous addiction. Recently, the World Health Organization identified PUBG as a real mental health game. Several lawsuits have been filed over the negative side effects resulting from the game. Many people around the world tend to skipping the meals, had severe physical and mental health issues. Many suffered from depression and insomnia. In some cases people committed suicide because of losing in the game. Banning it may avoid such health issues and losses. WHO article on Gaming Disorder
- PUBG Mobile Streamers lose their source of earning.
- PUBG Mobile has hugely contributed to mobile advancements in India, banning it may slow this progress.
- After Jio launched free unlimited internet, PUBG Mobile gaming gave other mobile operators the opportunity to compete through various PUBG packages and competitions. Through the ban, they may lose huge business.
- Chinese investors, who are heavily invested in the Indian startup business may pull back their funding.
Effect on PUBG Cooperation, Tencent, Microsoft
PUBG Mobile owner, PUBG Cooperation is trying to move away from Tencent. Tencent is the Chinese technology giant, who publishes PUBG Mobile in India and other countries. India was the biggest market of PUBG Mobile, accounting for 24% of total downloads globally with 175 million downloads as of August 2020.
Tencent is a huge technology company and earning revenue through several investments such as Bluehole (Parent company of PUBG). Therefore there is no significant effect on Tencent’s business.
Microsoft has partnered with PUBG to compete against Google, Sony, and Amazon through its video gaming platform. Since losing a significant part of users, Microsoft’s dream to be the leader in the video gaming industry has been delayed.
Effect on China
During this pandemic GDP of all countries fell down. But China’s GDP has increased by 3.2%. Even Though there are several bans on multiple apps from major countries such as the United States, India, etc. there is no impact on the Chinese economy. The reason for this is that China is the largest supplier of electrical goods. During this pandemic, people around the world moved largely to online shopping and increased their spending on electronics. Which helped China to get more business. As well China started producing cheap pandemics essential gear such as Masks, Pulsometer and other medical things, and due to fear and cheap availability it attracted huge sales from countries like India.
There are several options the gaming community in India is using to play PUBG Mobile. Some have chosen to use VPN mobile applications. Alternatively some users have shifted to the desktop version of PUBG. Few gamers have already moved to other games and some people are enjoying the peace and have chosen to spend more time with friends and family.
Below is the list of PUBG Mobile alternatives:
1. Fortnite – It is the most popular battle royale game in the world, with millions fans playing the game across the various platforms.
2. Call of Duty Mobile – It is also a game from Tencent, it is developed by them but published by 3rd party providers. It is a free-to-play first-person shooting game.
3. Garena Free Fire:Rampage – It is the ultimate survival shooter game available on mobile. Each 10-minute game places you on a remote island where you are pit against 49 other players, all seeking survival.
4. Battlelands Royale – It is made for mobile, a casual battle royale game for everyone to enjoy. With 32 players and 3-5 minute battles it’s pure non-stop carnage! No waiting in lobbies; no complicated menus to navigate. Just play, parachute, loot, shoot and survive!
5. Butter Royale – It is a free and most friendly battle royale game that initially developed as a joke over the genre. Even the name sounds funny. But the results exceeded all expectations, which made Singaporean developers (Mighty Bear Games) think about how to make the popular battle royale genre more accessible to a wide mass of players, including beginners