India has decidedly banned the battle royale game PUBG Mobile and 117 other apps in the country. The reasons are the change in China’s foreign policy and a dispute with China over border clashes in the Himalayas in which 20 Indian soldiers died. India seems to be resorting to new access. The government of India had prohibited 118 new apps from consensus corporations. The most popular game in the country is also a victim of this ban .
Details: PUBG Mobile was launch in India and few other countries via Tencent. Tencent is a Chinese technology giant. Therefore, even though PUBG cooperation is a South Korean company, due to new regulations from India to cooperate with Chinese organizations (Tencent) PUBG is not allow to continue the game in India.
What is PUBG mobile?
Player’s Unknown Battlegrounds (PUBG) is a multiplayer online battle royale game developed by PUBG Corporation, a subsidiary of Korean publisher Bluehole. PUBG Mobile is the mobile version of the same game.
Effect on India
A major part of PUBG Mobile players in India belongs to the age group of 22-40 years and the second group is from 18-22 years. People from the first group find themselves mostly in the initial career or experienced professional stage and contribute majorly to the economy through taxes. The second group finds itself in their crucial academic years. India being a young nation, it is critical to preserve an important asset.
For some, PUBG Mobile is a way to pass the time. But for some, it becomes a dangerous addiction. Recently, the World Health Organization identified PUBG as a real mental health game. Several lawsuits have been filed over the negative side effects resulting from the mobile game. Many people around the world tend to skip meals, had severe physical and mental health issues. Many suffered from depression and insomnia. In few cases, people committed suicide because of losing in the game. Banning it may avoid such health issues and losses. WHO article on Gaming Disorder
PUBG Mobile Streamers lose their source of earning.
PUBG Mobile has hugely contributed to mobile advancements in India, but banning it may slow this progress.
After Jio launched free unlimited internet, PUBG Mobile gaming allowed other mobile operators to compete through various PUBG packages and competitions. Through the ban, they may lose a large market.
Chinese investors who heavily invested in the Indian startup business may pull back their funding.
Effect on PUBG Cooperation, Tencent, Microsoft
PUBG Mobile owner, PUBG Co-operation is trying to move away from Tencent. Tencent is the Chinese technology giant, who publishes PUBG Mobile in India and other countries. India was the biggest market of PUBG Mobile, accounting for 24% of total downloads globally with 175 million downloads as of August 2020.
Tencent is a huge technology company and earning revenue through several investments such as Bluehole (Parent company of PUBG). Therefore there is no significant effect on Tencent’s business.
Microsoft has partnered with PUBG to compete against Google, Sony, and Amazon through its video gaming platform. Since losing a significant part of users, Microsoft’s dream to be the leader in the video gaming industry has been delayed.
Effect on China
During this pandemic GDP of all countries fell. But China’s GDP has increased by 3.2%. Even Though there are several bans on multiple apps from major countries such as the United States, India, etc. there is no impact on the Chinese economy. The reason for this is that China is the largest supplier of electrical goods. During this pandemic, people globally switched to online shopping, also their spendings on electronics increased, which helped China get more business. Also, China started producing cheap pandemics essential gear such as Masks, Pulsometers, and other medical things. Due to fear and cheap availability, it attracted huge sales from countries like India.
PUBG Mobile alternatives
There are several options the gaming community in India is using to play PUBG Mobile. Some have chosen to use VPN mobile applications. Alternatively, some users have shifted to the desktop version of PUBG. Few gamers have already moved to other games, and some people are enjoying the peace and have chosen to spend more time with friends and family.
Below is the list of PUBG Mobile alternatives:
1. Fortnite – Fortnite is the most popular battle royale game globally, with millions of fans playing the game across various platforms.
2. Call of Duty Mobile – It is also a game from Tencent, COD Mobile is developed by them but published by 3rd party providers. It is a free-to-play first-person shooting game.
3. Garena Free Fire: Rampage – It is the ultimate survival shooter game available on mobile. Each 10-minute game places you on a remote island where you are pit against 49 other players, all seeking survival.
4. Battlelands Royale – Made for mobile, a casual battle royale game for everyone to enjoy. With 32 players and 3-5 minute battles, it’s pure non-stop carnage! No waiting in lobbies; no complicated menus to navigate. Just play, parachute, loot, shoot and survive!
5. Butter Royale – It is a free and most friendly battle royale game that initially developed as a joke over the genre. Even the name sounds funny. But the results exceeded all expectations, which made Singaporean developers (Mighty Bear Games) think about how to make the popular battle royale genre more accessible to a wide mass of players, including beginners